For years I have considered myself to be agnostic.
I wasn’t raised in a church. My parents came from different Christian denominations, Mom is Baptist and Dad is Presbyterian. I also believe they probably both suffered from a crisis of faith when their parents passed away. Which is completely understandable. More importantly though, I strongly believe they wanted me to come to my own conclusions about my own spiritual life. So thanks for that parents! Seriously, I really appreciate it.
My spiritual belief system is incredibly vague and hard to pin down. But I’ll try.
- I do believe there is a higher power. I don’t quite know what he or she or they look like, but I think there’s something there.
- I don’t necessarily believe that Jesus was the son of this God, but I do believe he walked this planet and was a pretty great guy, and great leader. I believe that he believed that peace and love was the true path to happiness in life.
- I believe that the people who love never really leave us. I believe that my grandparents watch over me, even though they’ve all been gone for quite some time.
- I believe that there is no one “correct” religion.
- I believe in The Secret and karma. I believe that putting positive energy and thoughts out into the world will get your positive energy returned to you. I’ve seen it happen. My mom, after learning about The Secret (on Oprah) tried it out. She said multiple times a day that she would be getting a check in the mail. A couple months later, she did. The check she got was a residual check from the oil fields her father had invested in. The check was something like $11. But ya know what? That was $11 she didn’t have before.
- I believe some people you meet in your life were meant to change you. Let them.
- I believe that each person has their own beliefs, these should not be forced upon other people. For this reason, I am not a huge fan of organized religion. I do believe that organized religion has done a ton of good in the world throughout time, but I also believe it’s done some bad things (read: the Crusades).
- I think the current Pope is pretty awesome.
- I believe that this higher power loves all people regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- I believe that love is love and can’t be wrong unless someone is being hurt. But then, that’s not love.
What do you believe? Let me know in the comments!